Skip to main content

The biomedical industry in Texas

I've been working in Texas as a postdoctoral research scientist in biology for six years now, so I've gotten to know the local lay of the land pretty well as far as academic research goes. But commercial activity in biomedical research in terms of pharmaceuticals, biotech and medical devices? I didn't have much of a clue at all. A bit of Googling took me to http://www.texaswideopenforbusiness.com, a website put together by the Texas Economic Development Division within the Office of the Governor of Texas. They've put together reports detailing the status within Texas of a variety of industries, including Biotechnology and Life Sciences. The 2012 Texas Biotechnology Industry Report is particularly useful; it's probably the single best overview of the Texas biomed scene out there. Also useful is their directory of Texas-based biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical device companies. Over the upcoming weeks, I hope to do some analysis of the information contained in these documents.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comics About Patents (A Work In Progress)

Back in January and February of 2018, I spent some time creating two four-panel comics about the process of 1) obtaining patent protection, and 2) monetizing those patent rights by licensing them. I drew the comics to serve as an illustration of concepts that I often find myself explaining to others in the course of my work. I've already shared these comics through  Twitter  and  Facebook  (click on either of link to see more of the creative process!). However, I thought I'd share them with my blog's readership as well. Please enjoy! I'm really hoping to reignite this project at some point in the future and create more episodes. (Click on the images below to enlarge) Episode 1: Episode 2: - Isamu Hartman

Corporate Venture Capital at the Top 10 Pharma/Biotech Companies

Today I'm taking a step outside of Texas and looking at the world. Many large pharmaceutical and biotech firms maintain venture capital operations through which they invest in early-stage biomedical companies. I wanted to get a sense of what these biopharma corporate venture capital (CVC) funds are up to. Which companies have CVC funds? How active are they? What are their goals? What are they investing in? Background: general and sector-specific trends in venture capital In 2014 venture capital funding in the U.S. hit its highest annual mark since 2001, as investors participated in $47.3 billion across 3,617 deals . Within this trend Life Sciences was the second largest sector (behind only the Media and Entertainment sector) for 2014 in dollar terms with $8.6 billion invested in 789 deals, the highest level since 2007 . Corporate venture funding has followed similar trends:  2014 marked the strongest year for CVC activity since 2000 with $5.4 billion invested in U.S.-based co

The Big Fish: Texas-Based Biomedical Companies listed on NYSE and NASDAQ

[Monday, 22 April 2013:  I added Hanger Inc. (HGR, NYSE), an Austin-based prosthetics and orthotics company I had originally missed, to the list] [Thursday, 02 May 2013:  fixed the location of Hanger Inc. (HGR, NYSE) - changed from Dallas to Austin] I have another few posts coming up on Texas-based awardees of the SBIR program. But first, a quick digression. +Levi Shapiro  asked me the following question during a phone conversation we had earlier today:  who are the "Big Players" in the Texas biomedical industry that are listed in the major stock exchanges? I knew about Luminex (LMNX, NASDAQ) off the top of my head. Other than that, though, I really had no idea. Following the advice of +Lauren Nise  , I used LexisNexis (courtesy of the UT Dallas Eugene McDermott Library ) to generate a list of publicly traded biomedical companies headquartered in Texas that are listed in either NYSE or NASDAQ. Here are the companies I found: (Open spreadsheet as a separate page  h